Thursday, June 07, 2007

Baked beans in slow cooker



Another slow cooker recipe from "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook". These beans are soaked overnight then cooked for 12 hours with onions, ketchup, mustard and molasses. I halved the amount of sugary ingredients (there was meant to be brown sugar in addition to the molasses) but it was still too sweet for my husband... and the kids were not impressed... so I was the only one who really liked the beans... but I liked them a lot! I felt very Little House on the Prairie eating them (this recipe was based on an American classic that pioneers used to make over the embers of a fire on laundry day).
For vegetables I stir fried these beautiful baby bok choy from the EPIC markets (a farmer's market near our house). I also cooked these beetroot and served them room temperature with some olive oil and some chopped spring onion on top -- a trick I learned from my Norwegian sister-in-law.

No comments: