Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Vive le Vegan


I adore my new cookbook, Vive le Vegan by Dreena Burton. No, I'm not vegan, but yes, I like these simple, nutritious and delicious recipes. Every recipe I've tried so far is great. The kids loved her 'energy cookies', which are full of sunflower and pumpkin seeds (which they are allowed to bring to their newly nut-free school). Then I made a creamy avocado and cashew sauce, which was very nummy on Mexican burritos. Last night I made her baked tofu (in a lemon, olive oil and herb marinade) served with green beans and sesame-mustard-tahini sauce (pictured). This sauce is seriously delicious; it's the first time I actually liked tahini (pureed sesame seeds). The garlic and vinegar and sesame oil overtake the bitterness I usually don't like in tahini. It was good served over rice and vegetables, then the next day I've been eating the tofu and the sauce in pita bread.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, that looks delish. I can't find tahini here yet. I made my own last week, but couldn't get it quite pasty enough!
Kaaron

Anonymous said...

I am going to get that cookbook after reading about those 3 recipes. All sound yummy and exactly like what I have been craving lately. Thanks for the tip.