Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Peach jam and nut butter


My neighbour gave me bags of beautiful peaches last week (I still can't figure out how they became so luscious in the midst of our drought). I tried using the slow cooker to make jam, using the recipe from another new cookbook, Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook by Beth Hensperger. It turned out well but I'm not so sure how much easier it was. You cook the fruit for 2-1/2 hours with the cover on. Then you remove the cover for 1-3 hours until the correct consistency is reached. After you remove the cover, you're meant to monitor it and not leave the house. It seems just as easy to cook it on the stove much more quickly and be over and done with it.

The cookbook does have an overnight recipe for apple butter... now that seems like a better idea since you usually have to cook apple butter a long time in the oven anyway.

Now I have peach jam and homemade almond butter (whizzed in the food processor) which I spread on toast for breakfast. Addictive and filling.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks great....mix with vanilla ice cream on a warm day and you'd be on to something.

Anonymous said...

Do you add oil to your whizzing or just almonds? I am wondering if it is very dry. Sound yummy. We eat almond butter almost every morning as you know! So tasty and good for you too!

Anonymous said...

You were over here and you didn't call?!! I'm outraged! Next time call us :) K's sis