Monday, June 19, 2006

Make your own sushi


This dinner was very popular with my sushi-train-lovin' kids. And really -- other than chopping vegetables -- it's not too much work if you've got the key ingredients, especially with a rice cooker. (Of course I'm not doing all the fancy fanning of rice in a wooden bowl but never mind.) I cooked 2 cups sushi rice + 3 cups water in the rice cooker. Meanwhile, I heated 4 Tablespoons rice vinegar with 3 Tablespoons sugar in the microwave (I warned you this wasn't traditional) then mixed that in with the rice in a flat bowl, and covered this with a teatowel until dinner time.

Along with the rice I served salmon (from a can); quartered nori (seaweed); chopped cucumber, red capsicum, avocado and pickled daikon radish; wasabi, soy sauce and pickled ginger. It was delicious!! We all had our unique style. I prefered "scattered" sushi: a big gemisch of everything on top of rice (I don't like to eat too much seaweed because of my sensitivity to iodine). DH and daughter made rolls. Son (don't tell anyone) preferred to eat everything, including rice, with his fingers. Oh well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What fun!! I will have to try this out...any meal where we all get to assemble our "dish" just as we want is always a huge hit around here ;oP