Friday, June 30, 2006

Pumpkin risotto



So I started with a whole Jap pumpkin last week. I used half for the roast chicken dinner; a quarter for the chicken noodle soup; and eeeek I still have a quarter left which I used to make this risotto. Oh man I love this cookbook... checked out for the second time from the library which is usually a hint I should buy it for myself. This is the same cookbook where I got the recipe for beans and rice which worked perfectly. And here, this pumpkin risotto worked perfectly and was easy. I sauteed a chopped onion in the rice cooker for 2 minutes, then cooked the Arborio rice for about 4 minutes. Then I dumped in the stock (water + a cube) and chopped pumpkin, set the timer for 20 minutes (it won't turn off because risottos are more liquid), and ouila, after a quick stir, risotto!! It was delicious -- the pumpkin melted and formed an oozy orange starchy liquid to bind the rice. Perhaps not your perfect, stand-and-stir-at-the-stove-for-30-minutes risotto, but quietly, I've never been able to tell the difference between the dumping and stirring varieties. I topped it with Parmesan cheese last night, but today at lunch I'd run out of cheese and it was good with chopped avocado instead.

OK, I'm sick of pumpkin now.

No comments: