Monday, May 15, 2006

Laundry day


I love those teatowel sets which are embroidered with the days of the week and the specified job the happy housemaker is meant to be doing:
  • Monday: washing
  • Tuesday: ironing
  • Wednesday: sewing
  • Thursday: cleaning
  • Friday: shopping
  • Saturday: baking

Makes you tired just looking at the list, doesn't it?

In a spasm of happy home-making I decided to call Monday my laundry day this year: instead of doing one load of wash a day, I do many on one day. And as embarrassed as I am about such organization (which also includes a recent alphabetization of my spices!), I do find it efficient and somehow enjoyable to devote a day to be at home, finding many other things to do between the loads. It also lends a holiday air to the other days of the week (woo-hoo, no laundry!).

In the spirit of Monday wash-day -- when housewives used to put a pot of beans on the fire while they hand-scrubbed at the stream -- I made slow-cooked chickpeas in BBQ sauce today. I soaked the chickpeas overnight, then cooked for 4 hours in the slow cooker on high (they could have done with less initial cooking but I broke the rules and left the house for a couple of hours). Then I drained the chickpeas, and added pureed tomatoes, a dab of mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, brown vinegar, and sauteed onions, red capsicums and lotsa garlic. A couple more hours in the slow-cooker, and the result was a rich BBQ flavor. Served with rice, plain yogurt, and steamed carrots and broccoli.

2 comments:

Faux Couture said...

Here is my hand towel list
M- go for massage
T- go to yoga
W- eat Indian Buffet lunch
Th- eat Chinses buffet lunch
F- meet friends for coffee and donuts
S- relax
Sun- relax

notice how things wind down as the week goes on.....

Faux Couture said...

What kind of rice is that? Or does it just have something added to it?

BTW, that meal looks fab! Very creative.

I want a picture and list of all your spices, please :-D